The Wider Curriculum
At Gedney Church End Primary Academy, we have adopted the “Cornerstones” approach to ensure our curriculum is broad, balanced and meets the requirements of the national curriculum. This particular approach has been introduced to support a project-based, thematic approach with the aim to provide our children with a range of rich and memorable learning experiences.
School specific drivers for our curriculum:
Through use of the “Cornerstones” Curriculum we aim to:
- Engage children through interesting topics and hands-on activities.
- Make meaningful links between subjects.
- Develop children’s skills, knowledge and understanding of a range of themes and
- Make effective connections to the real world.
- Help children to think creatively and solve problems.
- Develop children’s capacities to work independently and collaboratively.
- Enable children to make choices about their learning.
- Take account of children’s interests and fascinations.
- develops children to the best of their abilities
- helps children to find their passions and interests
- facilitates children’s acquisition of knowledge, skills and understanding
- helps children to develop intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically and morally
- assists children in becoming independent, responsible, useful, confident and considerate members of the community
- promotes a positive attitude towards learning, so children enjoy coming to school
- helps children to acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning
- creates and maintains an exciting and stimulating learning environment
- ensures that each child’s education has continuity and progression
- enables children to contribute positively within a culturally diverse society